- Buddy Walk 2014 - Sunday October 19th at Dutchess Stadium. For more information and registration, click Here.
- Housing Resource Guide - Developed by the Westchester Institute for Human Development Comprehensive guide which covers everything from individual and state resources to creating a housing plan. More info at this link.
- Online Support Group for families of individuals with developmental disabilities in Orange County. Hosted by the Mental Health Association. Private forum where you can share your thoughts and gain constructive feedback. Download flyer here.
- Gigi’s Playhouse to open site in Westchester County. The Playhouse creates a “home away from home”. By providing a fun and nurturing learning environment GiGi’s Playhouse Westchester will empower individuals with Down syndrome and their families. GiGi’s research-based educational and therapeutic programs are designed to enhance fine and gross motor skills, speech and language, academics, life skills, self-esteem, and more. They will provide literacy and math tutoring programs that have documented success with learners who happen to have Down syndrome because they are designed to teach in the ways they learn best. All programs are FREE, and they welcome everyone to come and play. Click Here for more info.
- Mental Health Association in Orange County announces 17A Guardianship Program. Download flyer Here.
- Effective April 2014, new guardianship law “Uniform Adult Guardianship and Protective Proceedings Jurisdiction Act” Read the article Here.
- Ruby’s Rainbow scholarships available to individuals with Down syndrome for post secondary education, vocational or enrichment classes. Application deadline is July 6, 2014. Read it Here.
- Research opportunity for siblings of people with Down syndrome. Download flyer Here.
- Clinical research study available at Johns Hopkins for adults with Down Syndrome ages 18-30.
Download Brochure Here.
- Website resource: http://www.onlineschools.org/financial-aid/disabilities
A link for a college planning site that created a comprehensive scholarship guide for current and prospective students with disabilities. The guide serves as an additional tool for students who are struggling to finance their education. They included over 70 scholarships specifically for students with disabilities, thoroughly explaining eligibility, award amounts, and most importantly, how to apply.
- Research opportunities for individuals with Down syndrome at MassGeneral Hospital in Boston. Check here for current opportunities:
- NIH launches first national Down syndrome registry. The National Institutes of Health has launched DS-Connect, a Web-based health registry that will serve as a national health resource for people with Down syndrome and their families, researchers, and health care providers. Website Here --> https://dsconnect.nih.gov/
Find us on Facebook "Down Syndrome Association Hudson Valley"